Skip to main content

Dahi Vada / Thayir Vada (Lentil fritters soaked in chilled spiced yoghurt)


The name "Dahi Vada" itself makes my mouth drool. The soft, spongy vadas immersed in a chilled spicy, creamy yoghurt just melts in your mouth like an ice-cream. It looks oo like an ice-cream...Kind of Chocolate sauce drizzled over large Vanilla Ice-cream scoops. YUM!! There is so much going on, in a single bite that your taste buds will have an explosion of sweetness, saltiness, spiciness, all at the same time but yet you will be able to tell, what taste is coming from where.

For my blogger friends who are not from India, let me tell you what exactly Dahi Vada is. "Dahi" means yoghurt in Hindi & "Vada" is the lentil fritters. These fritters are deep fried & then soaked in a spiced chilled yoghurt & then topped with a sweet chutney or sauce. This is one of the popular accompaniment or a delicacy prepared in an Indian cuisine. Both North & the South Indians prepare this dish but with a slight variation. Some like the yoghurt more sweet, some a little less. But the taste remains just delish!
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup urad dal (split skinless black lentils, washed)
  • 3 cups fresh curd (yoghurt) + 1/2 cup curd more
  • 1 tbsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • salt to taste
  • cooking oil for deep frying
Method:
  1. Soak the washed urad dal in a bowl of water for a minimum of 4-6 hours. Drain it and grind the dal to make a paste. Use very little water to grind the dal. The paste should not be watery but so thick that when you take a spoonful of the batter and invert the spoon, the batter should fall off with a plop sound!
  2. Add salt to your taste & use your hand to mix to trap the air inside the batter which will make the vadas fluffy and soft.
  3. Heat oil in a heavy based pan to deep fry the vadas. When it becomes hot, take a tablespoon of the batter & drop it slowly to the oil. Unlike "uzhunnu vadas" (see the recipe under the category, Indian), you don't have to make holes in the batter. Deep fry the vadas until they become light golden.
  4. While the vadas are frying in oil, take a bowl filled with 1 cup of hot water & 1/2 cup curd with enough salt. Mix well and keep aside. Take out the vadas from the oil & drop it straight to this salted yoghurt-water. Let the vadas soak in it, while you fry other batches. This procedure is done to make the vadas soft.
  5. Take another mixing bowl & mix in the 3 cups curd/yoghurt & beat it well till smooth & frothy. Add red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, sugar & salt. Mix well & keep aside.
  6. Squeeze the vadas, kept in the yoghurt water to remove the excess water & place it well in a flat square dish. Pour the earlier made spiced yoghurt over the vadas so that the vadas are completely covered with it. Chill the dish for at least 2 hours before serving it.
  7. At the time of serving, top the dahi vadas with sprinkling of red chilli powder & cumin powder & pour on some generous amount of meethi chutney or the sweet tamarind relish. Heaven!!
PS: Please click here for the recipe of Meethi Chutney.



Comments

  1. wow!..when I saw the pic without reading the text, I thought it was a dish made with chocolate sauce:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by kothiyavunu and for kind words rohini..u 2 have a wonderful space with yummy recipes..

    yum yum..i can have thayir vada at any given point..love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time here dear !! u have excellent blog with nice collection of recipes !! Happy to follow u !!

    wow wonderful dahi vada !! loved it !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy vadas..looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOODNESS! that looks absolutely delicious! :) yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really looks like ice-cream from the first sight! Gonna make this to surprise my hubby... Sure he thinks it's ice-cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my space.Loved your space too.Your Thair vada looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A spicy, cream yogurt? You would never think those 2 would ever come together but this looks so tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too thought it was ice cream when I first looked at the photo. This is such a wonderful post because it's totally new to me. I will have to read it again. :)

    I found your blog over at Basilmomma. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutly ADORE recipes like this. Something that is completely unfamiliar to me, but looks AMAZING and I can not WAIT to try it! Thank you for sharing your culture! it makes me absolutly thrilled!!

    ps-I left you some awards on my blog! Stop by and pick em up when you have a chance:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dahi vada are my all time favourite, looks so delish. Loved your presentation too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow~ if only I could get a taste of that..this is what I would really call mouthwatering! :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hundred Thousand Dollar worth Rava Upma (Indian Semolina Polenta)

Now you must be thinking, who doesn't know to make Rava Upma? What is so special about it? Every 5th person residing in India knows to make it and is a common breakfast item in almost all the Indian household. We Indians take this dish for granted. Well up until a week back, even I thought the same about this dish and looked down on Rava Upma. Not anymore. Last week I read a news about an Indian born, New York Chef Floyd Cardoz who won the top prize of £100,000 in an American show called "Top Chef Masters". No prize for guessing, he made RAVA UPMA!! After reading the article, I immediately decided that the recipe of a basic version of Upma must be on my blog. And here I am sharing the if not a "million dollar", then atleast a "hundred thousand dollar worth Upma Recipe". :) Upma is a popular South Indian Breakfast dish, mainly prepared by Semolina. It has a great resemblance with the Italian Polenta. It can be made with many variations by adding vegeta

Lemon Hummus and Baba ghanoush

Fresh, hearty and wholesome are the three words that comes to my mind when I think of Mediterranean cuisine. Be it the region’s meal in a bowl vegetable or fish soups, juicy Kebabs, fried falafel, craggy pieces of toasted Bruschetta with yummy toppings, Batata Bravas, wedges of tortilla, or any combination of fish, vegetables, nuts, seeds, meat, fruit, yoghurt and oils, Mediterranean food  is just brilliant.   Equally tasty are their spread of small tasty dishes served as a starter while waiting for the rest of the meal. No matter how simple or elaborate, these tasty appetisers always hit the spot.  I am going to share the recipes of two of the many popular Mezze dishes that you can whip up in no time at home, for your quick and light dinner. One is the lusciously creamy “Hummus” that would beg you to be scooped up on to your warmed pitta breads (please don’t bother making  pitta!!) and the second dish is Baba Ganoush, a healthier option to Hummus. Baba Ghanoush is made of ro

Tandoori Chicken (Indian BBQ Chicken)

Hello Everyone! Its been a really long time sine I posted any dish on my blog. I was busy holidaying and lazying around for the past 3 weeks. I have umpteen number of dishes to post on the blog but was not getting time to put any of it. I was pre-occupied with the household chores, had been to my friend's place for a few days, then witnessed a Live Cricket Match in a stadium. My schedule was hectic but truly fun filled. I was in no mood to touch the Laptop after that. And now starts the Festive season of Indians . So am busy cooking up sweet dishes, every alternate day. I have a whole lot of pending recipes to show you all & I don't know where to start from. But for now, let me post my first pending dish which was in the queue for quite some time now. TANDOORI CHICKEN!! Any Indian Blog is missing something, if the blogger hasn't posted a recipe of India's most popular & Internationally renowned dish.... "Tandoori Chicken". ;) "Tandoor", in Hi