Skip to main content

Anniversary & Pouring Awards with Pista Kulfi



Took a break from blog & cooking for a couple of days as I was in a mood to celebrate!! That's right, Arun and I celebrated our 4 years of married life on 10th June. Phew, time truly flies in just a snap!! (Below is our wedding snap, a perfect South Indian Wedding shot...please don't laugh at it.;).

So I was in no mood to cook that day & told Arun that the meals of the day will be either frozen, take away or a dine out. He preferred the third one. ;) So we went to one of our favourite food joints {Did I tell you, that we live in a place called Chesterfield, a Historic Market Town in UK & don't have much choices around here ;)}, "Frankie & Benny's."My god, we both die for those thin crust Italian Pizzas & the cheesy gar(lick)y bread which melts in your mouth like a candy floss...Aah!
Now, I have to tell you what we ordered, because it was that good. ;) For starters, we ordered their famous garlic bread with crispy coated chicken & Prawn cocktail. Sipped on some Mojito & ordered the mains....Arun had the Salmon fish cakes (which was coated with ham & cheese with breadcrumbs....can u get the taste of it...?) with herb potatoes & I went for my favourite Prawn Pasta Alfredo. Perfect dinner for two. I was even game for a sticky toffee pudding with a dollop of ice-cream but then I had already made a sweet treat at home just for him, the previous night, which was waiting in the freezer, about to be slurped on. So that toffee pudding went for a rain check.

"Kulfi", is a creamy, frozen, Indian homemade ice-cream which is made with 2 main ingredients i.e milk & sugar. All you need to do is boil the milk in a saucepan, simmer the heat, read a book by its side & stir the milk frequently till it condenses & reduces in half. Add the sugar, wait till it melts, add the flavourings & nuts. Pour it in conical shaped moulds & freeze it. Slurp it off when you want to. No churning required unlike regular ice creams. See...We Indians have solution for everything ;)
"Pista" is nothing but Pistachios. In India, you get those lovely mud pots or "kulhars" filled with chewy kulfis filled with nuts, specially Pistas. Its just heavenly! So here goes the recipe....

Ingredients:
  • 1 & 1/2 litre milk (preferably whole milk)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar (this measurement is the minimum one should use)
  • 1/4 cup chopped pistachios (pista)
  • 3-4 strands of saffron (optional)
  • 3 pods of cardamom (cover removed & crushed with a pestle & mortar)
  • green food colouring (optional)
Method:
  1. Boil the milk in a saucepan. When the milk starts to rise, simmer the heat down to the minimum & start stirring with a spoon. (Stirring is to avoid the milk stick to the pan).You need real patience here. Cook the milk in low heat & stir frequently for a minimum of 40 minutes or until you see the milk starts reducing.
  2. Continue stirring. You will notice, that the milk starts leaving white creamy layers on the sides of the pan. Scrape it from the sides and mix it well with the milk. When you have stirred for 45-50 minutes, add the sugar at this stage. The measurement I have given is the minimum. Taste your milk to check the sweetness & if you need more, add it accordingly. Cook the milk till all the sugar is melted.
  3. Add the crushed cardamom, saffron & the pistachios to the milk. Add 2 drops of green colouring, if you want to give that restaurant finish Pista Kulfi. Give a gentle stir & switch the heat off. Allow the Kulfi to cool in the saucepan at room temperature.
  4. Keep all your lolly moulds or your small ramekins ready. Pour the kulfi to the moulds & allow it to freeze in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours.
  5. Serve your guests with some Pista Kulfi after their dinner or in the evenings, when your kids come back from school. Let them not miss their lolly man. ;)
What a Weekend this has been!! Celebrations and food!! and lo behold, what did I see today morning when I opened my (g)mailbox? Pouring awards for my blog from another blogger counterpart, Donna! I just couldn't believe it coming. I read her comment so many times & each time I read, it felt nice. Donna, that was so generous of you. Now somebody pull me down as am on cloud nine. he he he...But am so thrilled! Only a true blogger will understand my sentiments...!!
Thanking Donna is just not enough but am really glad that she considered my blog as an impressive one. me still learning!! Friends, please do visit her website www.mytastyjourney.com and read her journey of weight loss & lifestyle transformation. She is truly an inspiration for overweight people like me who have zero will power. Also don't miss out her healthy but delicious recipes & the "Motivational Monday" audio talks. Cheers!
Now to pass on these awards to 10 bloggers which I recently found in the net & was impressed by their recipes & write ups. They are (in no particular order):

Comments

  1. belated anniversary wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes (belated) for Happy Annivasary!!!Thank you for the awards & mentioning my blog too.Still I am new with blog writing.I am really excited with this...Thank you soooo much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated happy annivesary rohini..wish u both a long and wonderful life together!! kulfi looks and sounds so good..Congrats on ur award and thank u so much for thinking of me....so kind of u dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated Anniversary Wishes.. lovely picture..

    Congrats on ur awards... And thank you so much for passing them to me.. it is such an honor... thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anniversary wishes dear. Love the kulfi and its presentation. Congrats on the awards and thanks for passing them on to me .. such an honor .. thanks again.

    Vardhini
    Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
    Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli

    ReplyDelete
  6. kulfi looks delicious!and 4 yrs of married bliss!congrats to both of u!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations on your 4th wedding anniversary and also for the well deserved awards that have been showered on you! Enjoy going thro your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on ur 4th marriage anniversary, u looks gorgeous, many more of happiness and togetherness dear..Congrats on ur awards..thats so nice of u for sharing ur awards with me..

    Those rich looking kulfi looks stunning and rich..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all!! Keep encouraging with your comments...It feels good to cook more!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy anniversary wishes :)
    wish a wonderful life with many such celebratins..
    kulfi is my fav too....
    ur pic looks awesome...no one will laugh at it....its a lovely trap of beautiful memory :)
    you both look prefect :)
    Happy Blogging!!!!
    Food Blog News Daily
    Good Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats for the anniversary.. and all your well deserved awards..Do swing in to my blog whenever time permits..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary dear :) May God bless u both !!The wedding photo looks good :) Thanx a lot for sharing the awards with me..feel so great :)..Kulfi looks super delicious..!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gee...Thanks!! so u do follow my blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary dear !! Kulfi looks very delicious !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy anniversary dear! Perfect and yummy treat for this special occasion. Congrats on your awards too...

    ReplyDelete
  17. hope you had a great anniversary!
    the kulfi's look very cute and yummy!
    way to go...congrats on your awards dear!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Belated anniversary wishes to both of you ~ wishing you a happy and wonderful life together!
    The kulfi looks decadent!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  19. Belated Anniversary Wishes and congratulations on your awards! Thanks for passing on the awards to me and I am super excited becoz its my first award in the world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, thank you , THANK YOU!!! I SO appreciate you giving me this, I do :)
    Really made my day.
    By the way, your Kulfi looks Sooo good! My youngest who LOVES pistachios would love this!
    Have a great week and thank you SO much for thinking of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks again for this array of beautiful awards! We're still smiling over them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy belated anniversary. I love the wedding picture! Your dinner sounds like it was delicious and I like the kulfi! I love reading about foods I've never tried before.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A sweet dessert to celebrate sweet memories! I bet your hubby was so pleased!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hundred Thousand Dollar worth Rava Upma (Indian Semolina Polenta)

Now you must be thinking, who doesn't know to make Rava Upma? What is so special about it? Every 5th person residing in India knows to make it and is a common breakfast item in almost all the Indian household. We Indians take this dish for granted. Well up until a week back, even I thought the same about this dish and looked down on Rava Upma. Not anymore. Last week I read a news about an Indian born, New York Chef Floyd Cardoz who won the top prize of £100,000 in an American show called "Top Chef Masters". No prize for guessing, he made RAVA UPMA!! After reading the article, I immediately decided that the recipe of a basic version of Upma must be on my blog. And here I am sharing the if not a "million dollar", then atleast a "hundred thousand dollar worth Upma Recipe". :) Upma is a popular South Indian Breakfast dish, mainly prepared by Semolina. It has a great resemblance with the Italian Polenta. It can be made with many variations by adding vegeta

Lemon Hummus and Baba ghanoush

Fresh, hearty and wholesome are the three words that comes to my mind when I think of Mediterranean cuisine. Be it the region’s meal in a bowl vegetable or fish soups, juicy Kebabs, fried falafel, craggy pieces of toasted Bruschetta with yummy toppings, Batata Bravas, wedges of tortilla, or any combination of fish, vegetables, nuts, seeds, meat, fruit, yoghurt and oils, Mediterranean food  is just brilliant.   Equally tasty are their spread of small tasty dishes served as a starter while waiting for the rest of the meal. No matter how simple or elaborate, these tasty appetisers always hit the spot.  I am going to share the recipes of two of the many popular Mezze dishes that you can whip up in no time at home, for your quick and light dinner. One is the lusciously creamy “Hummus” that would beg you to be scooped up on to your warmed pitta breads (please don’t bother making  pitta!!) and the second dish is Baba Ganoush, a healthier option to Hummus. Baba Ghanoush is made of ro

Naankhatai

Naankhatai is to India as S hortbread is to Scotland,    Naankhatai is an Indian shortbread (originally brought by the Iranians to India) quite similar to a Scottish shortbread but only more soft, more crumbly and more delicious. I like to call them the "Indian white Bakery biscuits" because I have always seen them stored in those big cookie jars in front of the bakery till counters. For me, these white dome shaped cookies always stood out from the other cookies.  This 3 ingredients cookie is super easy to bake plus there are no eggs involved so Hello Vegetarians!! One can always experiment with a combination of flours (gram flour, corn flour, semolina, etc) but being me I went for the most tastiest and a slightly unhealthy version of using only refined flour. Do try any version you like but do not forget to dunk these melt in the mouth cookies in  your masala chai and go mmmmm....:) Happy Baking!!   Ingredients: 1 cup all purpose flour 1/2 cup butter (room tempe