Happy 2012 every one! Since its the beginning of a New Year, I thought of cooking something sweet as to fill the year full of sweetness, good health & prosperity. So I left wondering what do I make to usher 2012?? Then I thought of "Gaajar Ka Halwa", a popular North Indian sweet dish mainly prepared during the Winter Season. Gaajar (Carrot) Ka Halwa (Fudge) is made with bloody red carrots which are grown in abundance during Winter, in India. Its natural sweetness & goodness makes this dessert more slurrrrrp worthy :)
Its January & there is still some nip in the air, so I chose to make some Carrot Halwa. I managed with the ordinary orange carrots as I didn't find any red ones here in England. It didn't match the taste of those bloody ones but the dish didn't disappoint me. Anything with sugar gives you a high...isn't it??
- 4 cups shredded carrots (preferably red ones)
- 4 cups milk (boil it & keep it warm)
- 4 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 & 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp crushed cardamom
- 10 - 15 cashewnuts
- 10 raisins
(My food processor helps in shredding the carrots very quick)
- Heat 3 tbsp of ghee in a deep based pan & add the shredded carrots to it. Roast the shredded carrots for 10-15 minutes in the ghee until the raw smell of the carrot goes and the carrots change its colour.
- Now pour the warm milk to the roasted carrots & let it help in cooking the carrot. Stir frequently to avoid any burning of milk at the bottom of the pan. This process will take a bit of your cooking time. Cook the carrots till all the milk dries up.
- Now add the sugar to the cooked carrot & keep stirring until all the sugar has melted. The carrot mixture would have now have become like a soft fudge. Simmer the heat down & stir frequently.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a small pan & roast the cashew nuts & raisins till they are light brown.
- Add the cardamom powder & the roasted nuts & raisins along with the ghee to the Carrot Halwa. Stir the carrots for few more minutes till it leaves the sides of the pan. Remove & serve hot.