Have you got loads of left over rice from yesterday? Don't know what to do with it apart from the usual curd rice, lemon rice or tomato rice? Why not try making "Nasi Goreng" with it for a change. I had a similar situation last night. So just took out my cold rice from the refrigerator, improvised it by mixing some vegies, eggs, garlic, onion & some soy sauce. And served a spicy hot fresh dinner in minutes. :) Nasi Goreng, is the National dish of Indonesia. It is popular in most of the South Asian countries & has got a Chinese influence to it if you see the use of the ingredients. It actually means fried rice where pre-cooked rice is mixed with any combination of veggies, chicken, prawns or eggs with the rice.
You can cook fresh rice but should be done before hand & cooled for a long period of time. Or else, like me, use the left over rice to make this tasty & colourful Indonesian fried rice, if it has been kept well chilled. I didn't have plans to actually put this on my blog, but later changed my mind. So apologies for not clicking the step by step pictures like how I normally do. This is a very easy recipe & am sure, you wouldn't need the pictures at all. ;)
- 300 gm long grain rice / Basmati rice (rinsed)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 thai red chillies (can use finger chillies too), finely sliced
- 2 onions (finely sliced)
- 3 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper (seeded & sliced julienne)
- 2 carrots (sliced julienne)
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 4 spring onions (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Place the rice in a wok, add 600 ml water & bring to the boil. Cover & cook over a very low heat for 15 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed. Tip into a shallow dish & leave it to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the wok. Add the eggs & cook, stirring until scrambled. Remove & set aside.
- Blend the garlic, half the sliced chillies & half the sliced onions to a fine paste.Heat the oil in the wok & fry the paste for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the onion & chilli plus the vegetables & stir well for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cold rice & mix well for 3 minutes. Stir in he soy sauce, spring onions & eggs & fry until piping hot. Serve immediately.