Another spicy chicken dish comes your way & this time its from South India. Karaikudi, is a big town in Tamilnadu situated in the region of Chettinad. It is also the unofficial capital of Chettinad region. As I have already introduced the Chettinad flavours in my Urulai Chettinad recipe, this time am here with a non-vegetarian dish. It will be very peppery, very coconutty and very very tasty.
"Karaikudi Chicken Curry" will remain a special dish for me as this was the first dish which I cooked and served after my wedding at my in-laws place. My in laws were bowled over my cooking and declared that I am a Super-Cook.....So every time I make this dish at home, I remember my initial marriage days & thank the recipe every time. It saved my reputation in the kitchen in front of all. Ha!
- 1 kg chicken (cut into bite size chunks)
- 2 big onions (finely chopped)
- 2 big tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder + 1/2 tsp for marination
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder + 1/2 tsp for marination
- 3 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- 5 whole red chillies
- 4 tsp whole coriander seeds
- 2 inch ginger (peeled)
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cloves
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 10-12 curry leaves
Roast the above said ingredients in a frying pan with 2 tsp of oil until the coconut turns light golden brown in colour. Let it cool & then make a wet fine paste.
- Marinate the chicken in turmeric powder, red chilli powder & salt and keep it for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep based pan (kadai). Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds & fennel seeds. Once it splutters, add onions & fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Add tomatoes & fry till it becomes soft. Now add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder & fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the wet paste & fry for 5 minutes. Then add the marinated chicken, required salt & water for the gravy.
- Cook the chicken with the lid closed for 20 minutes in medium heat.
- Garnish the gravy with coriander leaves and curry leaves and serve hot with rice.