Vegetable Strudel can be a perfect Christmas dinner first course or starter where you can slice up the veggie log and serve with some healthy greens. A Strudel is a German word meaning "Whirlpool", where the rolled layers of pastry dough is made to form a shape of a spiral. Stuffing can be made from sweet to savoury. thought of making a vegetable strudel to cater both vegetarian & non-vegetarian friends. Enjoy making this one as your Starter and I will be back very soon with my Main Course! Merry Christmas!
Preparation time 30 minutes
Total Cooking Time 35 minutes
- 10-12 spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), seeded & cut into strips
- 1 green capsicum (bell pepper), seeded & cut into strips
- 2 zucchinis (courgette), sliced
- 2 eggplants (or 1 aubergine), sliced
- 6 sheets of filo pastry
- 40 g butter, melted
- 20 g basil, finely sliced
- 60 g grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
1)Preheat the oven to 210 Degrees Celsius. Brush an oven tray with melted butter.
2)Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly & steam or microwave them until they are just softened. Squeeze out any excess moisture & spread the leaves out to dry.
3)Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion & cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the capsicum, zucchini & eggplant & cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Season well & set aside to cool.
4)Brush one sheet of filo pastry with melted butter & top with a second sheet. Repeat with the remaining pastry, brushing with butter between each layer. Place the spinach, cooled vegetable mixture, basil & cheese along one long side of the pastry, about 2 inch in from the edge. Fold the sides over the filling, fold the short end over & roll up tightly.
5) Place the strudel seam side down, on the prepared tray. Brush with the remaining butter & sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Bake for 25 mminutes, or until golden brown & crisp.
PS: This dish is best made just before serving. Serve sliced as a first course with a green salad.