And the time has come when I post the recipe of the God of all Desserts, TIRAMISU, on my food blog. I have relished this dessert many a times but my love towards it grew when I tasted it in the very own Italy. The lush layered dessert made me feel like an angel with wings flying up and above, reaching the clouds. I truly felt like am in heaven & heaven was in my mouth. No wonder, Tiramisu means "Pick me Up"!! I was on a hunt to get the original ingredients to make it at home so our good old friend Maria Ferreto came to my rescue and not only she shared her original recipe with me but also gave me the original ingredients straight from Italy. I was delighted!!
This is a very delicate yet an easy dessert recipe with an explosion of various tastes bursting in your mouth. The coffee liquer soaked savoairdi biscuits, the soft cheesy custard, a hint of Marsala wine strumming your taste buds & finally a coat of chocolaty cocoa.....its all in there in the Luxury Tiramisu.
I have used my friend Maria's Spanish unsweetened cocoa powder which she had bought it from Spain & also the original Savoiardi biscuits.
You can substitute the biscuits with any sponge fingers & use any coffee liqueur instead of Marsala wine, but if you need to make the authentic version, stick to this recipe. Also before going to the recipe, let me tell you that this recipe is not suitable for pregnant ladies as the eggs are not cooked at any stage.
- 4 eggs (yolks & whites separated in two different bowls) eggs should be kept at room temperature
- 100 gm caster sugar plus 2 tsp extra
- 500 gm mascarpone cheese
- 1 pack or 20 savoiardi biscuits (italian sponge fingers/ladyfingers)
- 250 ml fresh black coffee
- 6 tbsp marsala wine (can use tia maria/kahlua or any other coffee liqueur)
- cocoa powder for dusting
- Beat the egg yolks & 100 gm of caster sugar together in a bowl with an electric beater until pale & little stiff.
- Now add the Mascarpone cheese to it & beat until smooth. Then add 3 tbsp of marsala wine to it & mix again. Keep it in the fridge.
- Now whisk the egg whites till stiff peaks form. Add in 2 tsp of sugar to it when the peaks are about to be formed.
- Take out the Mascarpone mixture from the fridge & fold in the egg white peaks to it. Gently mix the mixture with a flat spoon or spatula. Tiramisu mixture is ready.
- Mix the fresh coffee, 1 tsp of sugar & 3 tbsp of marsala wine together in a bowl.
- Take a rectangular glass dish & keep it near the coffee-wine bowl.
- Soak the Savoiardi biscuits in the coffee mixture one by one & line them up in the rectangular dish in such a way that the biscuits should be the first & base layer.
- Now cover the biscuits generously with the Tiramisu mixture or custard. This will be your second layer.
- Now sprinkle the cocoa powder on top of the custard.
- Repeat another layer of coffee soaked biscuits, then custard & finally a generous sprinkle of cocoa powder.
- Now cover the Tiramisu & place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2-3 hours. Cut it out to the base, to get all the layer of your lush TIRAMISU!! :)