It's Celebration time all the way!! Why? Because My FB fan page has just reached 150 "Likes" & am so thrilled. Also, the festivities will start from August in India. First coming up is "Raksha Bandhan", the festival which celebrates the relationship & bond of a Brother & Sister. So I thought of coming up with an easy to make Indian Sweet Dish, "Peda". A "Peda" is a North Indian Milk Sweet mainly consisting of Khoa (thickened whole milk), sugar & other Indian flavourings like saffron & cardamom seeds. Pedas are usually made during festivities or for offerings made in the temple for deities.
This recipe is a simple process of the same "time consuming" Pedas where the Milk is kept on the heat for hours to make khoa & then goes to the next process. This is the first time for me as well & I have taken this recipe from "showmethecurry.com" the cookery website of Hetal & Anuja. And I must say, it came out very well for the first time. One of our good friends, who is English had asked for an easy to cook Indian Sweet with less ingredients and time. What better recipe than this one!! Just a Microwave, a Bowl & 3 ingredients is all you need! Voila, you are ready to serve a delicious treat.
- 2 cups instant whole milk powder (Nestle Nido or Everyday)
- 1 can / 397 g of condensed milk (Nestle Carnation or Milkmaid)
- 150 g of unsalted butter
- some dry fruits (Almonds, Raisins & Cashews)
- coloured sugar (optional)
- Take a Microwavable glass bowl & throw in the butter. Melt the butter in the Microwave for 1 minute and no more.
- Now add the Milk Powder & the condensed milk to the melted butter & mix well with a spoon or spatula.
- After you have mixed all the three ingredients together, put the bowl back into the Microwave & cook for 1 minute.
- Take the bowl after a minute & stir well again.
- Put the bowl again in the Microwave & cook for another minute. Take it out & Mix well.
- Put it back again and cook for the final one minute. Take the bowl out & mix well with the spoon. By now the mixture would have become a solid enough to make rolls out of it.
- Let the mixture cool for 15 minutes. Meanwhile take a flat plate & grease it with a little butter or oil.
- Take a spoonful of the mixture and make a round ball out of it & slightly flatten it. Place it on the greased plate. Repeat the process till the entire mixture gets over.
- Now you can make your own decoration with the dry fruits or coloured sugar. Place one almond on a flattened Peda & press it slightly. You can also put a raisin or a cashew likewise. Or you can even spread some coloured sugar on a small plate & press the peda over it. This will be very colourful & the kids will love it.
- Easy Microwavable Pedas are ready. Let the Celebrations begin!!! ;)