Skip to main content

Erachi Ularthiyathu (Shredded Meat Fry)

"Erachi"in Malayalam means "Meat" mainly of beef & "Ullarthiyathu" (pronounced as ullar - thi - yadhhu) literally means "shredded". If you are not able to pronounce it....forget it...you just concentrate on the recipe. :) This is a popular pub food of Kerala. Pub when I say here, is the local toddy shops, where people enjoy their local drinks and lick on to some of this hot meat fry & pickle. Slowly this dish gained its recognition in major restaurants of Kerala. "Erachi Ullarthiyadhu" can be made in many variations. Also the names are different in different regions of Kerala. But whatever be the name or recipe, the method to prepare this dish is the same i.e to marinate and cook the meat and then pan fry till the meat is completely dry.

This recipe is given by my mother in law, who is a great cook of all times. She had made this for us once & I immediately took down the recipe from her.I have used the meat of a lamb because I am a little reluctant to include any beef or pork recipes in my blog so that I don't hurt any of my friend's religious sentiments. You can make it with mutton, if you don't prefer beef. The traditional recipe suggests to use coconut pieces with the meat, but I don't like the combination of coconut & meat. You can very well add it if you want to. This is the easiest of all the variations. Less ingredients used to get a fantastic appetizer. Cheers!!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 kg tender meat of lamb (cut into cubes) (can use with bone or boneless)
  • 2 medium sized onion (finely sliced lengthwise)
  • 6 cloves of garlic
  • 3 tsp of finely sliced ginger
  • 10-12 curry leaves
  • 1 tbsp vinegar
  • 1/4 cup of oil (preferably coconut oil)
  • salt to season
Coarsely grind:
  • 6 dried red chillies
  • 1 tsp peppercorns
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 big stick of cinnamon
  • 6 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
Method:
  1. Wash the meat pieces nicely and marinade the meat with the coarsely ground spices. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
  2. Cook the marinaded meat in a cooker, adding enough water to cover the meat along with vinegar & salt. Keep the heat in medium allow to cook for a minimum of 20 minutes & maximum of 30. Let the pressure go off the cooker. Open the pressure cooker.
  3. If there is water in the meat, cook the meat for some more time with out the lid so that the water evaporates by itself.
  4. Heat oil in a Kadai or a deep frying pan. Saute the sliced onions in it till they get translucent. Now add the garlic, ginger & curry leaves to it. Saute for 3 more minutes.
  5. Now stir in the cooked meat with the onions and saute well until the meat is fully dry, roasted & shredded.

Comments

  1. Thanks Bini!! Your Beef Varatiyadhu was equally mouth watering!! :) This is amma's (anu's mom) recipe...she makes it so delicious...My god!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks scrumptious! Hop on over to our blog to pick up your *award* :) Very happy to mention you in our list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU so much Tadka Pasta!! This was truly a surprise when I read your comment this morning!! Thank you so much for the Award!! Am flattered & motivated more!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rohini, i tried this yesterday. For the sake of arnav i made it less spicy. Inspite of that, dish came out very well. Suresh loved it. I can say myself it was incredible for a first attempt. Your simple step by step instruction helped. Thanks a bunch....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it came out well....I was actually waiting for your sms.....then thought, you wouldnt have liked may be....lol!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hundred Thousand Dollar worth Rava Upma (Indian Semolina Polenta)

Now you must be thinking, who doesn't know to make Rava Upma? What is so special about it? Every 5th person residing in India knows to make it and is a common breakfast item in almost all the Indian household. We Indians take this dish for granted. Well up until a week back, even I thought the same about this dish and looked down on Rava Upma. Not anymore. Last week I read a news about an Indian born, New York Chef Floyd Cardoz who won the top prize of £100,000 in an American show called "Top Chef Masters". No prize for guessing, he made RAVA UPMA!! After reading the article, I immediately decided that the recipe of a basic version of Upma must be on my blog. And here I am sharing the if not a "million dollar", then atleast a "hundred thousand dollar worth Upma Recipe". :) Upma is a popular South Indian Breakfast dish, mainly prepared by Semolina. It has a great resemblance with the Italian Polenta. It can be made with many variations by adding vegeta

Lemon Hummus and Baba ghanoush

Fresh, hearty and wholesome are the three words that comes to my mind when I think of Mediterranean cuisine. Be it the region’s meal in a bowl vegetable or fish soups, juicy Kebabs, fried falafel, craggy pieces of toasted Bruschetta with yummy toppings, Batata Bravas, wedges of tortilla, or any combination of fish, vegetables, nuts, seeds, meat, fruit, yoghurt and oils, Mediterranean food  is just brilliant.   Equally tasty are their spread of small tasty dishes served as a starter while waiting for the rest of the meal. No matter how simple or elaborate, these tasty appetisers always hit the spot.  I am going to share the recipes of two of the many popular Mezze dishes that you can whip up in no time at home, for your quick and light dinner. One is the lusciously creamy “Hummus” that would beg you to be scooped up on to your warmed pitta breads (please don’t bother making  pitta!!) and the second dish is Baba Ganoush, a healthier option to Hummus. Baba Ghanoush is made of ro

Tandoori Chicken (Indian BBQ Chicken)

Hello Everyone! Its been a really long time sine I posted any dish on my blog. I was busy holidaying and lazying around for the past 3 weeks. I have umpteen number of dishes to post on the blog but was not getting time to put any of it. I was pre-occupied with the household chores, had been to my friend's place for a few days, then witnessed a Live Cricket Match in a stadium. My schedule was hectic but truly fun filled. I was in no mood to touch the Laptop after that. And now starts the Festive season of Indians . So am busy cooking up sweet dishes, every alternate day. I have a whole lot of pending recipes to show you all & I don't know where to start from. But for now, let me post my first pending dish which was in the queue for quite some time now. TANDOORI CHICKEN!! Any Indian Blog is missing something, if the blogger hasn't posted a recipe of India's most popular & Internationally renowned dish.... "Tandoori Chicken". ;) "Tandoor", in Hi