Skip to main content

Breaking the fast Muffins


Happy New year everyone!!Yes I am alive. Fat and fine as usual and am extremely ashamed of not posting a single recipe in 2014 and I blame it solely on me. Sloth is one deadly sin and I confess that I was fully drowned in one. However I have buried my lazy past in the past and here I am starting my 2015 with a bang. I have dusted the cobwebs from my blog and it’s now up and running. The love and calories is here with double the love and may be fewer calories.

My first post of this year is “breaking the fast Muffins”. Since it’s got some dried fruits, seeds and carrots in it, you can very well call it a “Healthy” muffin. I had these lovelies last weekend for my breakfast accompanied by some freshly squeezed orange juice prepared by hubby dear. It was indeed a good start of the day. :P


Ingredients:


· 300g of plain flour
· 50g of oats
· 50g of caster sugar
· 3 tsp of baking powder
· Handful of sunflower and pumpkin seeds
· Two handfuls of any chopped dried fruits
· One orange, zested and juiced
· One carrot, finely grated
· Two eggs, separated
· 150ml of yoghurt
· 100ml of sunflower oil
· A pinch of cinnamon or mixed spice
· A little vanilla extract.
· Muffin case
· Muffin tray

Method:

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.

Mix the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, seeds, fruit and spices together in a large bowl. Then add the oil, yoghurt, orange zest and juice, grated carrot and egg yolks and prepare a thick batter.

In another mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until they have formed white peaks. Gradually add the whisked whites to the batter and mix gently.


Put each muffin case in every tray hole and spoon enough mixture into the muffin cases so that they are almost full. Sprinkle some sugar on top if desired.



Bake them for twenty minutes or until they are cooked all the way through and a gentle brown colour on the top.

PS: If you want to make your muffins more healthy, combine some wholemeal flour with plain flour (1:1 ratio) but let me warn you, the muffin will be very tight unlike your normal lighter muffins.


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hundred Thousand Dollar worth Rava Upma (Indian Semolina Polenta)

Now you must be thinking, who doesn't know to make Rava Upma? What is so special about it? Every 5th person residing in India knows to make it and is a common breakfast item in almost all the Indian household. We Indians take this dish for granted. Well up until a week back, even I thought the same about this dish and looked down on Rava Upma. Not anymore. Last week I read a news about an Indian born, New York Chef Floyd Cardoz who won the top prize of £100,000 in an American show called "Top Chef Masters". No prize for guessing, he made RAVA UPMA!! After reading the article, I immediately decided that the recipe of a basic version of Upma must be on my blog. And here I am sharing the if not a "million dollar", then atleast a "hundred thousand dollar worth Upma Recipe". :) Upma is a popular South Indian Breakfast dish, mainly prepared by Semolina. It has a great resemblance with the Italian Polenta. It can be made with many variations by adding vegeta

Lemon Hummus and Baba ghanoush

Fresh, hearty and wholesome are the three words that comes to my mind when I think of Mediterranean cuisine. Be it the region’s meal in a bowl vegetable or fish soups, juicy Kebabs, fried falafel, craggy pieces of toasted Bruschetta with yummy toppings, Batata Bravas, wedges of tortilla, or any combination of fish, vegetables, nuts, seeds, meat, fruit, yoghurt and oils, Mediterranean food  is just brilliant.   Equally tasty are their spread of small tasty dishes served as a starter while waiting for the rest of the meal. No matter how simple or elaborate, these tasty appetisers always hit the spot.  I am going to share the recipes of two of the many popular Mezze dishes that you can whip up in no time at home, for your quick and light dinner. One is the lusciously creamy “Hummus” that would beg you to be scooped up on to your warmed pitta breads (please don’t bother making  pitta!!) and the second dish is Baba Ganoush, a healthier option to Hummus. Baba Ghanoush is made of ro

Hara Kebab (Green Kebab)

My honest confession, when you start a food blog, there is no looking back. You just carry on cooking & cooking & cooking. The pressure is so much to cook good, versatile & different food every time. Especially when guests come home & if they are aware of your food blog, then you need to match or rather excel their expectations. My best friend came home this weekend & we had a great time together gossiping, shopping & of course eating glorious food. She is a hard core vegetarian, hence my cooking skills were put to test as I said before. So I ended up making delicious Hara Kebab for her. Kebab is often the grilled or roasted skewered meat which we all talk about. So I thought, why not make it vegetarian & give my friend a surprise. "yeah, Baby...eat those Kebabs right now"...Don't worry...Its vegetarian! ;) Also I came across a "spinach event" which is going on in one of the blogger's space, so I thought, why not make my first