The moment I returned from my visit to the "Cheddar" village last month, I wanted to make a yummy bake with the Cheddar Cheese bought from the village. As I had already posted a Tuna Pasta Bake in my blog, I wanted to make a quick Gratin dish. There was one more reason to make a Gratin because I wanted to use my "Le Creuset oven cookware" which was lying in my Kitchen shelves for about 2 months now. Now you must be thinking, look at her flaunting things what she has got but NO..This mini casserole set was given to me by my best friend Shakthi during my last visit to her place. And that was very sweet of her, so I wanted to show her that I am indeed using these Casseroles and not kept to let the dust settle on them. :) Not promoting any brand over here but I recommend Le Creuset if you want to buy a good quality Oven Cookware.
Now some good things about the Gratin, I made a "Traditional English Cheddar Cauliflower Cheese Gratin". There are many other names given to this dish like Cauliflower & Cheese bake, Cauliflower Noisette, Cauliflower Gratin or simple Cauliflower Cheese. I have used the original Cheddar cheese of the Cheddar Village & that makes my Gratin indeed very very traditionally English. You can use any mature Cheddar Cheese for your Gratin recipe. Its very easy, quick & delicious for your early supper along with some boiled or grilled vegetables.
- 1 medium cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 2 cups milk
- 200 gm cheddar cheese (finely grated)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 50 gm butter
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- Take a large saucepan & boil water. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Put the cut cauliflorets to the boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the water and keep the florets aside. Season well with salt & pepper.
- Heat a saucepan & add the butter, flour & milk to it. Click on Bechamel Sauce to get the detailed steps.
- Whisk well with the spoon until the sauce is little thick and smooth. Switch off the heat.
- Now add 3/4th of the grated cheese, nutmeg powder, required salt & pepper to the sauce and stir well.
- Take a baking dish or casserole & grease well with some butter. Place the seasoned cauliflorets in it.
- Pour the Cheese Sauce over the califlorets until fully covered. Top the sauce with the left over cheese & place the dish inside the oven.
- Cook for 15- 20 minutes or just until it turns golden brown & starts bubbling.
- Serve hot with some boiled veggies.