Today is Arun's Birthday & I had already decided not to buy the Birthday Cake from a Bakery. Baking is not my strength but I just wanted to take a risk this time and wanted to bake a good chocolate cake all by myself. So I baked the cake yesterday to give him a surprise at midnight. As soon as I put the cake tin inside the oven, I started calling all the Baking Gods to help me bake this one. And luckily my prayers were answered! That was a relief!! He indeed was surprised to see a home baked cake and the happiness & love in his eyes was all I wanted to see. :)
Chocolate is our all time favourite dessert, hence to decide upon which cake to bake was not a tough task. "Chocolate Mud Cake" was the final unanimous decision taken by me as I didn't want my two main ingredients "Love & Calories" to feel out of place....;) And I was thrilled by seeing the final product all baked by me from scratch!! "Chocolate Mud Cake" when tasted, was pure indulgence!!
- 150 g self raising flour
- 155 g plain flour
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 250 g dark chocolate (broken)
- 2 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 60 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
- 550 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp oil
- 125 ml buttermilk
- shaved chocolate to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 160 Degree Celsius. Grease a deep 22 cm round cake tin with melted butter or oil.
- Stir the butter, chocolate, coffee & 3/4 cup hot water in a saucepan, over low heat, until melted & smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Sift the flours, cocoa & baking soda into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar & make a well in the centre.
- Add the combined eggs, oil & buttermilk & using a large spoon, slowly stir in the dry ingredients, then the chocolate mixture until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin.
- Bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Take out the cake tin & let it cool for a while. When completely cold, remove the cake from the tin.
- 250 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 125 ml pouring whipping cream
- 145 g caster sugar (or grind the normal sugar in a blender to make it superfine)
- To make the glaze, stir all he ingredients in a saucepan over low heat until melted.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat & simmer for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat & cool slightly.
- Put a wire rack on a baking tray & transfer the cake to the rack. Pour the glaze over the cake, making sure the sides are evenly covered. You may need a spatula knife for that even spread.
- After some time, decorate the cake as you wish with some chocolate shavings. :)