Whenever I thought of making a simple omelette for my breakfast, I always wanted to try out the Spanish version of it but never made for the simple reason that it is super rich & heavy. But last weekend, I just couldn't resist & committed this sin. But my tummy was at peace. Ah! Tortilla! Sabroso!
"Spanish Tortilla" is one of the popular Tapas dish in a Spanish cuisine. You should not miss out on this one. This Potato & onion filled thick omelette wedges complete any tapas combination. "Tortilla" in Spanish means "Little Cakes" & this sure looks & tastes like one. You can make these delicious rich tortillas and pack them up in your kids lunch boxes or can even serve as an appetizer at any evening parties. Hot or Cold....Spanish Tortillas can be relished however you want. Yeah...but you need to put aside your guilt for the time being...Remember...I serve you food with love & calories...... ;)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 large potato
- 1 big onion
- 3 & 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to season
- Firstly, use a light weight frying pan (preferably non stick) to make this omelette, as you need to invert the pan at one stage. Also the diameter of the pan should be an ideal 20 cm and not more in order to make thick wedges of the omelette.
- Finely slice the onion and keep aside. Peel and slice the potato into thin rounds or squares.
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in the non stick pan. When the oil is very hot, add the sliced onions and cut potatoes. Turn the heat to medium and let the onion and potato become tender and not brown. Season them with some salt & pepper.You need to stir frequently and stew them in oil.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a bowl with a fork and keep aside. Season the eggs with salt & pepper.
- Transfer the cooked potatoes & onion along with the oil to the beaten eggs. Stir well.
- Heat the pan again & pour half tablespoon of oil to it.
- Turn the heat to the lowest & pour the egg mixture to the pan. Spread the potatoes and onions throughout the pan with a spoon. Cook the omelette on low fire for 15 minutes till all the liquid is set and you think its ok to flip.
- Take a plate and cover the frying pan with it. Now invert the pan so that the omelette is on the plate.
- Take a wide spatula and slide the egg back into the pan in order to cook on the other side. Cook for another 2-3 minutes & switch of the heat. Leave the omelette to rest and then remove it from the pan.
- Cut the omelette into wedges & serve them hot or cold.