A very easy, filling, quick tiffin which you can make in a jiffy, if you are that busy on a week day & also not want to miss the main meal of the day, i.e BREAKFAST!! Its Bread Upma. All the ingredients in this recipe can be found at all homes, all over the world. Prepare it, cook it, eat it & off you go!
- 10-12 bread slices
- 2-3 tbsp yoghurt
- 1 big onion (finely chopped)
- 1 big tomato (finely chopped)
- 5 green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 capsicum/bell paper, optional (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- salt to taste
1) Cut each bread slice into 1 inch squares with a knife. Keep aside.
2) In a big bowl, mix the yogurt,red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt. Now add the cut slices of bread to it, mix well until the yoghurt mixture coats the bread pieces. Keep aside.
3) Heat the oil in a Kadai & add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds & curry leaves. Let it splutter. Then add the chopped onion, green chillies & saute . Then add the capsicum pieces if you are including it in your Bread Upma and saute till they soften.
4) Add the tomatoes to the kadai. Also add salt to taste. Remember you have put some salt in the yoghurt mixture as well so put accordingly. When the tomato starts to get mushy, add the marinated bread pieces to it mix well. Toss frequently and add some more oil if you want the bread pieces to be crisp. Add coriander leaves at this stage.
5)Switch off the heat if you think that the bread pieces are coated well with the mixture & cooked well. Serve hot in the morning.